The Baddest Beard: December 2007 online tourney

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
marcos
Council Member

Hi Friends! As many of you will know, there is people who likes to play even when sleeping :D
So, as a warm-up for Nations Cup 2008 i will like to organize an online tourney during december. The idea is to play 3 or 4 rounds maximum of swiss system depending on the number of players. They will play 1 game per week and will send the report of their games to me via PM or email (marcosicaceres(a)hotmail.com)

Format of the tourney:
this tourney is going to be called the baddest beard, but, what does that means?
It means that each player has to build 2 Fallen Wizard decks (with 2 different wizards), a main one (let's call it A)and a secondary one (let's call it B)... The best scored player will be known from then and ever as the Baddest beard in all the MECCG community!

Game starts as usual, with these exceptions:
:!: Before start the match, both players declare wich wizard they are playing
:!: You are going to play ALWAYS with A deck except when both players declare the same wizard.
What happens then?
:!: Both makes a roll, and higher roll player chooses to start the match and play B deck or let the opponent beggin and play with A deck...

everyone interested in participate let me know via email or PM, with this info:
name:
nick at gccg:
nick at CoE forum
email:

Join date limit: sunday december 2nd
tourney starts: monday 3rd
Prize: a beer when you come to argentina 8)
Let the most twisted wizard win! :twisted:

Marcos
NOTE: No cheeze allowed hehe
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Did you think about the hazard decks you will face in this format? We played a tourny like this in Switzerland, but hazard decks were strictly limited. Otherwise every normal Fallen deck is going down and vice versa to opponents deck.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

You do realize by doing this, you are able to tailor deck B to exactly counter a specific FW.

Let's Say I'm playing Gandalf and Radagast.

I run into another Gandalf, I choose to play Radagast and the hazards in it are specific to couner Gandalf.
marcos
Council Member

Alter tuk wrote:Did you think about the hazard decks you will face in this format? We played a tourny like this in Switzerland, but hazard decks were strictly limited. Otherwise every normal Fallen deck is going down and vice versa to opponents deck.
suggest some deck limitations...
sauron wrote:You do realize by doing this, you are able to tailor deck B to exactly counter a specific FW.

I run into another Gandalf, I choose to play Radagast and the hazards in it are specific to couner Gandalf.
how can you know which A or B is opponent going to play? You can only know that at the time you are starting to play, and in that time, you already have your 2 decks built

and how can you know you are going to roll higher than opponent in order to choose the best deck to play?

Also Brian, that is the fun part of this, it's going to be a big massacre :twisted:

anyway, it's just an idea to have some fun during december and as a warm-up for NC...
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
Alter tuk wrote:Did you think about the hazard decks you will face in this format? We played a tourny like this in Switzerland, but hazard decks were strictly limited. Otherwise every normal Fallen deck is going down and vice versa to opponents deck.
sauron wrote:You do realize by doing this, you are able to tailor deck B to exactly counter a specific FW.

how can you know which A or B is opponent going to play? You can only know that at the time you are starting to play, and in that time, you already have your 2 decks built

and how can you know you are going to roll higher than opponent in order to choose the best deck to play?

Also Brian, that is the fun part of this, it's going to be a big massacre :twisted:

anyway, it's just an idea to have some fun during december and as a warm-up for NC...
Player 1) FW Gandalf Deck A, FW Rad Deck B
Player 2) FW Gandalf Deck A, FW Pallando Deck B

Now, each player has to play deck A according to your rules. So the only reason I'll ever play deck B is if I face another FW Gandalf.

Each player has tailored Deck B to specifically counter a FW Gandalf deck, since he can only play it when playing against another FW Gandalf.

You see where this is going right?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I don't know, I'm not much of a FW player. :)
marcos
Council Member

Sauron wrote:
marcos wrote:

Player 1) FW Gandalf Deck A, FW Rad Deck B
Player 2) FW Gandalf Deck A, FW Pallando Deck B

Now, each player has to play deck A according to your rules. So the only reason I'll ever play deck B is if I face another FW Gandalf.

Each player has tailored Deck B to specifically counter a FW Gandalf deck, since he can only play it when playing against another FW Gandalf.

You see where this is going right?
i got your point, then you go and propose something :lol:

i'm just giving some ideas to have a bit fun
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

In Switzerland it was allowed to have only 3 anti-fallen-specific hazards straight in the deck. And even that is a lot. (As far as I remember I took 2x Blind and Ire and sideboared the other Blind and Ires to deck to counter every short-event opponent might want to play.)
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
marcos
Council Member

maybe we could play a normal tourney then?
Balin
Ex Council Member

I like the idea, and it's not so hard to improve:
You do realize by doing this, you are able to tailor deck B to exactly counter a specific FW.
If each player is allowed to play one single hazard deck only (2 resource decks, 2 different wizards, but 1 hazard deck only), problem solved.
Did you think about the hazard decks you will face in this format? We played a tourny like this in Switzerland, but hazard decks were strictly limited. Otherwise every normal Fallen deck is going down and vice versa to opponents deck.
Let's limit hazard decks forbidding any hazard from White Hand (though you could still play them from your sideboard, of course).

I think it worths a try yet :D
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
marcos
Council Member

i really like your idea!!!

so, this is the format:

:arrow: 2 resource decks, 2 different wizards, but 1 hazard deck only
:arrow: hazards from White Hand cannot be included straight in deck, and can't have a 10 extra cards sb vs FW (that's obvious, all your opponents are FWs...)

is that ok now?
Manuel
Council Chairman

IMO The good part of making a hazard portion for a deck is the synergy between the resource and the hazard sides of the deck. I've never been a great fan myself of making separate hazard and resource decks, and then putting them together to play games; the deck is a whole. I will not need the same hazards in my cheezagast squatting deck than in my eriador short rest alatar, and the beauty of all this thing is always looking for the right hazards for the right resources.

Also, would that include the same hazards in my sideboard? Because I can still tech my sideboard vs deck A or B.
marcos
Council Member

well. any other suggestion to make this work?
Sfan
Ex Council Member

Hello GCCG-players!

Life can be easy if you want it:
one fallen wizard,
one deck,
one ring (oh! doh! Forget about the ring).

So the point of deck building will be choosing your wizard wisely...
And if both play the same wizard, which besides happens sometimes in a tournament, then the faster one wins.
And no WH hazards in the playdeck! And only 10 in the sideboard allowed!

My two cents,
Stefan
marcos
Council Member

Sfan wrote:Hello GCCG-players!

Life can be easy if you want it:
one fallen wizard,
one deck,
one ring (oh! doh! Forget about the ring).

So the point of deck building will be choosing your wizard wisely...
And if both play the same wizard, which besides happens sometimes in a tournament, then the faster one wins.
And no WH hazards in the playdeck! And only 10 in the sideboard allowed!

My two cents,
Stefan
does everyone else agree with this or with Agus idea?

Return to “GCCG”