another shot

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

sigh, I tried this programm some two years ago as well, and decided it was just way too user unfriendly for non-computer wizards like myself - though I definitely don't consider myself a dummy either. I just don't have the time (or want to invest it) to spend hours mastering this programm. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Anyway, now wanting to play with virtuals on the net I decided to give it another shot. Here the questions

I enter the programm as a new user and give up a name, after it not taking Thorsten the Traveller (too long, okay) and trying some other names rejected for unknown reasons, I type Thorsten, which is excepted. Then I logg on again, and get the message 'incorrect password', and 'maybe someone already registered by the name of Thorsten' (well it might be me using this name two years ago, but if you don't know it, I sure as hell don't...). So 'disconnected from server, abnormal exit.'

Yet my compu automatically is still recognized as Thorsten, so I can't enter a new username. This means I have to install the stuff again? Yet I'm in the programm, there's Thorsten left below, and I can perform certain actions, but I guess I'm not connected....

the mouse doesn't seem to work either (I click main menu and get nothing)

screen is not full size, I remember two years ago that meant changing a line in a file, I opened the spanish faq (luckily I speak spanish, where's the english version?) and found it there, but how to open the metw.bat file without starting the programm?

there are still no pictures with the cards? I thought that had been made possible?

this, and probably a great number of other questions, so it's best if the gccg company sends a guy over to my house so I can learn the ropes :lol: (lest I give it up completely)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

Well, I don't really know what to say. I've never had the same issues that you are experiencing. You could try asking wigy to reset your password for 'Thorsten' or you could just ask him to delete the account completely and then start again?

If you want, I can ask wigy directly on GCCG next time he's around?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's possible that it's still trying to use the same password from two years ago. You have to get somebody with administrative powers to grant you a password or send it to you by email so you can stick it in the correct folder. (I'm not sure who's currently in charge of the server, though . . .)

As I recall, most menu options require that you be connected to the server.

There is a FAQ at http://gccg.sourceforge.net/faq.php .

To get the pictures, there should be a .bat file in your directory that says "Install METW Cards.bat", but it can take a while for them to download, which is why it is separate from the normal installer.

If you're running windows, you can open METW.bat by right-clicking and selecting "Edit." For other operating systems, I'm uncertain.
wigy

I cleared the account Throsten which didn't have any cards or games. Should be able to log in.

FAQ is here http://gccg.sourceforge.net/faq.php

Card images can be installed running the install script.

The windows version of the game is very crappy. Nobody has cared enough to make reasonable installer or implement some Linux/OSX specific things. Myself, i couldn't care less. I haven't use windows since 1995. So i am not even able to do that, since i have no copies of windows running anywhere.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

My, now I wonder what I'm missing by running Windows.

Other than basic stability and security. :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

okay guys, thanks for quick reply, going to check it out in a moment, let you know if all's well, or bug you with more questions :wink:

the fact that on the gccg site linux is mentioned first, mac second and windows last, is sign enough...but Bill did something right, if only the merchandising, so making it windows-friendly would seem logical, right?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
wigy

Bandobras Took wrote:My, now I wonder what I'm missing by running Windows.
The one important difference is the lack of image caching, which makes it probably very slow compared to Linux/OSX. Other thing is the installer itself, which is ugly hack from the native Linux-installer.

The server code is also Linux/Unix-only, since nobody has bothered to make that Windows-compatible.

Return to “GCCG”