Call for help on server maintenance

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

On behalf of Josh (the admin) who hosts the server for both CoE website and gccg (for this game), we call on meccg fans with the knowledge and skills to help maintaining the server in propper order.

Lately gccg experiences many problems, and people are staying away from it for this reason.

A good functioning of gccg is essential for keeping a healthy and active international meccg community. As real cards are running out, many new players find their way into this game via gccg. And older players return to this game via gccg, when their former playgroups have dissolved.

So, can you help keeping gccg in tip top shape? Do you have enough nerd in you to fix this job, and will you stick around for more than a few months? Then what are you waiting for? PM Josh and offer your services!
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
anonycat

I know of at least one problem in that the server is intentionally kept out of date, to the revision just before I modified the visibility system to be much more powerful: I didn't know the correct values to give pile visibilities in Metw-server.include, so that file is still attempting to set the old variables which no longer exist in recent revisions. It'll be an easy patch once I know what to set, and then the tables can continue to receive maintenance updates from SVN without breaking.

As someone who hasn't actually taken up METW, I see that the file calls upon piles named "discard pile", "pool", "sites", "sideboard", and "sideboard vs. fw". Which of these piles are supposed to be face down during play, which are face up, and which (if any) are free for only their owner to look at? Are there effects that reveal only the top card of piles that are otherwise face down?
zirilan

only for owner / faced down / never revealed or top card faced up / if you take a card and put to any other pile it has to show type to opponent (hazard, stage card, character, resource hero, resource minion): sideboard pile, sideboard vs. FW pile

only for owner / faced down / never revealed or top card faced up: pool pile, play deck, location deck (sites)

only for owner / faced down / top card may be faced up due to effects: discard pile
anonycat

SVN r659 should fix it so that an up-to-date server will work properly. If anything else is broken, just point it out so I can fix that too.

Return to “GCCG”