Getting Started

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
shintorg

After spending a few hours reading through this forum and at http://gccg.sourceforge.net/ I figured I'd ask the dumb questions before I started and messed thing up. I figure I'll be asking more questions after I do get started and mess things up. :)

I'm running Win7 64bit. I am, or at least was at one point, fairly computer literate. Rather decent at following instructions. What I have gathered is that I create a directory and unzip the gccg_installer.zip into it. Then run the Install metw.bat program. Next would be the Install METW cards.bat. Finally run Update everything.bat.

The questions begin after that.
1. Is that the basic how to set it up?
2. Would someone explain the SVN thing to me? I'm a bit in the dark about this, I see a few topics about various SVN(s).
3. Is there actually a 'fairly' active group of players out there using the GCCG for METW?
wild1

shintorg wrote:After spending a few hours reading through this forum and at http://gccg.sourceforge.net/
Also check out the GCCG thread on meccg.net/dforum (at this point it's the only sticky item in the General section titled "Play MeCCG Online").
shintorg wrote:I'm running Win7 64bit. I am, or at least was at one point, fairly computer literate. Rather decent at following instructions. What I have gathered is that I create a directory and unzip the gccg_installer.zip into it. Then run the Install metw.bat program. Next would be the Install METW cards.bat. Finally run Update everything.bat.

The questions begin after that.
1. Is that the basic how to set it up?
Yes, I believe so. The metw.bat file is how you actually launch the program (or Metw-fullscreen.bat).
shintorg wrote:2. Would someone explain the SVN thing to me? I'm a bit in the dark about this, I see a few topics about various SVN(s).
Check out the "New Access" thread in this forum:
http://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewto ... f=20&t=903
shintorg wrote:3. Is there actually a 'fairly' active group of players out there using the GCCG for METW?
There seem to be players from all over the globe, from all levels of play. Most are open for a walk-through tutorial on the game interface and guidance on putting together your first GCCG deck. I'm on the West Coast and would love to see you there.

wild1
shintorg

Well almost, but not quite, ready to start this new foray. Still terribly in the dark about the SVC. It's a subversion, the tortoisesubversion seems to be the win version I'd want to run. The thing I don't quite understand is "Why?". Do 'we' need the same subversion to play together? Or is the subversion just a more updated, sometimes beta, version of the gccg engine? I'd just like to have the required backbone to get started before I create an account and try to figure the interface out.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Well SVN is a kind of beta version, for 13 dream card and 2 more virtual cards projects,

altogether over 1600 cards, 4 new maps 7 new alignments, new sounds for cards, I could go on and on,

so SVN is not needed, but it is the future and I advise all to get it instead of old dusty GCCG version

yours Nicolai aka Vastor
Brabo

TortoiseSVN is just a file-update-sharing program. If you use that for GCCG actually all it does is make sure you have the most up-to-date gamefiles (and with them come all the latest dreamcards and sounds). It's not really a different gccg version, it's just that your gccg files can be easily updated. Gccg itself works is the same from the 'regular' version so you can use them together with no big problems. The only thing is, if you don't use SVN and play an opponent who uses cards that your version doesn't have, you will not see the card-images. So, best to use SVN to update all the files so you are totally up-to-date!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On gccg my name is 'Wisp'

Return to “GCCG”