Appointing a New NetRep

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, April 17, 2017, user Shapeshifter wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:Before we start discussing rules changes and possible errata (see topic here: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2973) we should talk about a new NetRep (team).
updated charter wrote:Powers:

The CoE shall appoint and maintain at least one spokesperson during each session whose duties shall consist of clarifying rules, interpreting card texts, adjudicating rules disputes, clarifying game play questions, adjudicating conflicts between cards, updating the Rules Documents and forwarding any appropriate issues to the CoE. The title of said office shall be NetRep. The NetRep is enabled to gather a team of advisors around him in order to support him with rulings, errata and rules changes. The NetRep shall publish a rulings digest bimonthly as well as update the Rules Documents accordingly. If no new rulings are to be made, the NetRep shall inform the CoE of such.
• The CoE shall issue errata or rules changes as needed. The NetRep Team discusses and proposes the erratum or rules change. Proposed erratum or rules change shall be placed for an open vote before the community and shall be ratified by a two-thirds majority after a voting period of three weeks. The CoE shall be responsible for announcing, maintaining and monitoring the vote. Rules so ratified shall be considered in force when announced in the next Newsletter from the CoE.
I put the most relevant parts for the appointment in bold.

So, 1st step would be to gather candidates for the NetRep.
The 2nd step lies by the NetRep himself who should gather a team of advisors: the NetRep team.

My suggestion for the NetRep would be a dual leadership:
- Konrad Klar
- Ben Sörensen
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, April 17, 2017, user Jose-san wrote:
Jose-san wrote:If they want to share the NetRep duties, I can't think of anyone better for the task.
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, April 17, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Personally speaking, I think Konrad and Ben have been the most valuable component of the CoE forums for some time. I don't know where this website would be without them. It is simply fantastic that anyone can ask a question about a game (meccg) which hasn't been in production for about 20 years and receive an educated answer from one or both of them the very same day, almost without exception.

I would also heartily support them for the NetRep position or as part of the NetRep team.

Also, we are currently in need of revising the Charter (we need volunteers!)

See here.... http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... f=2&t=2942

So the duties of the NetRep could be modified during the Charter revision (if some of the NetRep duties are no longer practical or deemed necessary, etc.)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, April 17, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:I am not sure, if either Konrad or Ben is the right man for this position. The NetRep is the head of th rules department, so i think he not only needs to answer rules questions, but also to organize things. Especially bringing rules issues to a decision, peparing motions and running them. starting discussions and supervising them among the NetRep members. acting as spokesman between NetRep team and COE/MECCG community. i think this takes some other skills.
i dont say that they dont have this requirements, maybe tboth of them are perfect fit. but first we should define the task, and then look for a proper person.
also, why not having the NetRep team talk baout their head among themselves?

of course i wholeheartily agree with Gavin, that these 2 guys have been invaluable community members for a very long time here in this forum. and it goes without saying that they would make great contributions to the NetRep team.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 17, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:
thorondor wrote: but first we should define the task, and then look for a proper person.
I agree. It seems to me that perhaps we should get the Charter revision done first, and then assign a NetRep? That way we can address the duties and responsibilities of the NetRep in the Charter and change anything that we feel needs to be adjusted.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017, user Shapeshifter wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:Ok, agreed.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Why in particular would the role/tasks of the NetRep have changed, or need to change?

As Wolfgang says, NetRep is also a representative position, which involves communicating rules issues and decisions to the meccg community.

To boot, the NetRep should be an active player, imo. If there are decisions to be made, not only technicalities should be considered. However, it could be a joint effort from a NetRep team (with 5 members, the NetRep or chair being the deciding vote).
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, user Jose-san wrote:
Jose-san wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Why in particular would the role/tasks of the NetRep have changed, or need to change?
I don't see why. We can go on with what we have.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:
I am not saying they must change. I am saying they should be evaluated to determine if any changes should be made. Now seems like an appropriate time to do this since the Charter needs revising anyways.

The reason is because it is better to change the role of the Netrep slightly IMO and then elect someone who is willing and capable of fulfilling those duties, than it is to keep the current expectations and elect someone who cannot fulfill all of the duties and falls dormant again.... putting us back to a non-existent NetRep.

I am saying I think we should at least consider this.... perhaps the game was much more active the last time a NetRep was appointed and thus more duties were needed than we need in our current environment?

Perhaps the duties can be simplified and streamlined a bit to make it easier for an active NetRep to stay in place? Just a thought.

If you guys feel this is not needed, then I fully support that as well.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:Do we have a description of what is hte role or task of the Netrep? I didnt find anything in the charter nor anywhere else.
Maybe I havent been looking at the right place.
But if there is no such thing, we imo should first describe what is expected of this Netrep.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:
thorondor wrote:Do we have a description of what is hte role or task of the Netrep? I didnt find anything in the charter nor anywhere else.
Maybe I havent been looking at the right place.
But if there is no such thing, we imo should first describe what is expected of this Netrep.
In the old charter (currently published on our webpage) it states:

"The Council shall maintain at least one spokesperson during each session whose duties shall consist of announcing rules, modifications to rules, announcing the recognition of an active council, the announcing of councils who have lapsed into non active status, adjudicating rules disputes, clarifying game play questions posed to the Council, and maintaining the collected rulings file. The title of said office shall be NetRep."

In the revised charter (voted in awhile back but never updated on the web page) it states:

"The CoE shall appoint and maintain at least one spokesperson during each session whose duties shall consist of clarifying rules, interpreting card texts, adjudicating rules disputes, clarifying game play questions, adjudicating conflicts between cards, updating the Rules Documents and forwarding any appropriate issues to the CoE. The title of said office shall be NetRep. The NetRep is enabled to gather a team of advisors around him in order to support him with rulings, errata and rules changes. The NetRep shall publish a rulings digest bimonthly as well as update the Rules Documents accordingly. If no new rulings are to be made, the NetRep shall inform the CoE of such.
• The CoE shall issue errata or rules changes as needed. The NetRep Team discusses and proposes the erratum or rules change. Proposed erratum or rules change shall be placed for an open vote before the community and shall be ratified by a two-thirds majority after a voting period of three weeks. The CoE shall be responsible for announcing, maintaining and monitoring the vote. Rules so ratified shall be considered in force when announced in the next Newsletter from the CoE.
"

So going back to my point above about considering a revision of NetRep duties... say, for example, we think we can appoint an excellent NetRep but the individual does not think he can reasonably stay on top of all of these duties, we can revise the Charter before nominating one to the position. Just as an example: remove the requirement for him to publish a rulings digest bimonthly as well as update the Rules Documents accordingly. Maybe have the CoE Rules Committee share some of these tasks.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:uh, i really missed that? i mean, this isnt just 2 or three words. shame on me ...
Well, thats not so bad. A few minor changes are needed, but it is still fine.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Our current Charter states:
The ROC may appoint a spokesperson during each session whose duties shall consist of: clarifying rules, interpreting card texts, adjudicating rules disputes, clarifying gameplay questions posed to the Council, adjudicating conflicts between cards, updating the Universal Rules Document, and forwarding any issues to the ROC. The title of said office shall be NetRep.

The ROC may appoint either a Council member or a non-Council member to the NetRep position.

The NetRep may periodically publish a rulings digest, as deemed necessary.
So there is an option to appoint a NetRep, although it is not required. Would you guys like to discuss appointing a NetRep now to act for the remainder of the current Council term? Or would you prefer to revisit this after Council elections next year?

Currently, I am working on a revision to the URD (since I don't think anyone else has the time or inclination to tackle the project). None of the other NetRep duties are presently being performed by anyone.

Thanks for your input.
rezwits
Council Member

Council Members,

Is there any reason, this role or these roles, should not or could not be fulfilled by our 2 able CoE "busy bodies"? Whose presence on council and hard work staying up-to-date with the rules and rule questions, has not gone unnoticed by myself.

Bandobras Took?
{or}
Konrad Klar?

I think with the option of "lessening the paper work" maybe they might be interested?

Just a thought, (and an observance of the obvious, of sorts...)

[-me_wh-]-PM-ME-IF
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

rezwits wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:35 am Is there any reason, this role or these roles, should not or could not be fulfilled by our 2 able CoE "busy bodies"? Whose presence on council and hard work staying up-to-date with the rules and rule questions, has not gone unnoticed by myself.

Bandobras Took?
{or}
Konrad Klar?
There is no particular reason that I can think of that either of them wouldn't be suitable for the position. However, they would have to have the time and inclination to fulfill the role. My guess is that the ROC would also want to appoint someone who is both knowledgeable of past NetRep rulings as well as someone who honors NetRep past precedent when practical.

Return to “Active Agenda Items”