CoE Rulings Digest #116

zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

(1) Joe Bisz asked: If my opponent is using Belegaer and I play Noose of the Sea, does anything dramatic happen?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. The only effect will be that if your opponent's company has another movement-hazard phase this turn (e.g., through the use of Master of Esgaroth), he will not be able to employ Belegaer.

(2) Ben Sorensen asked: I know this is already being discussed (thanks for the transparent NetRep board, by the way -- a lovely idea), but I'd like to ask: given the existence of both cards that state "Playable on a non-automatic attack" and "Playable on an automatic-attack" (and characters/companies facing such) should "Playable on an attack" be read as playable on either, since it belongs to neither subgroup?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure which cards you have in mind, but here's an example of a card that is "playable on a non-automatic attack": Tormented Earth. This card cancels an attack. Given that cards which normally cancel attacks are normally playable against auto-attacks, Tormented Earth would be playable against auto-attacks unless it specified otherwise. I don't see how ICE could have worded things differently in this case. Presumably you're interested in Annotation 18 and the severe restrictions it seems to place on a company facing an auto-attack. All I can say is that this example will not get you anywhere. Sorry.

(3) Ben Sorenson asked: Can By The Ringwraith's Word could be used on a RW follower, and, since a RW does not have a mind attribute, would it be discarded by having any non-rw character in the company. I think it may be played and would stay in play (you can't be greater than a nonexistent value), but there was some doubt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ringwraiths and Ringwraith followers do not have a mind stat. This is different from having zero mind, just as having no body ( e.g. Orc Guard) is different from having 0 Body (e.g. wounded Halbarad with Nothing to Eat or Drink, and Wound of Long Burden facing a strike from a cavedrake with Like the Crash of Battering Rams).

(4) The Lidless Eye rulebook says that "A special item states at what sites and under what conditions it is playable."
a) Are Special Items nevertheless only playable during the site phase?
b) Does this apply even to Ring Special Items, limiting successful Ring Testing to the site phase only?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding (a): Yes, only during the site phase.
Regarding (b): Special Ring items follow their own rules, as per the MELE rulebook.

(5) Dave Barton asked: If you teleport using Farmer Maggot while facing an auto-attack, and you end up at a different site that also has an auto-attack (e.g., weathertop), what happens (assuming you want to do stuff at weathertop)? There seem to be three options:
(a) You may play stuff immediately. You've already faced your auto-attacks for the turn, so there's no need to face more.
(b) You must face the Weathertop auto-attacks, since you have not dealt with the auto-attacks at your current site.
(c) You may do nothing. You had your one chance at entering a site, and you took it, but the ability to play stuff during the site phase depends on the site that you actually enter. Since you didn't enter Weather top (and it's too late for that now), you cannot do anything.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(b) is correct.

(6) Joe Bisz asked: It seems that when cards refer to the word "items", they mean "all items", including unique, non-unique, hoard and non-hoard, special and non-special. Thus, Forge-master and Earth-eater could target hoard items (but not non-uniques, since the card says so) and Lucky Search and Legacy of Smiths could target all, and War-Forges could not target either uniques or hoard because the card says specificially so.

Is this correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is correct. Note that there are no hoard items that Forge-Master would allow you to play: all the hoard items are battle gear. Note also that Legacy of Smiths does not target your items.

Best,

Mark Alfano
mark.alfano@gmail.com

Official Council of Elrond Netrep*
http://www.councilofelrond.org/, http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/index.php,

*Prepared in collaboration with Mikko Vihtemäki (NetRep Team), and Chad Martin, Brian Min, Manuel Cabezali Romero, and Konrad Klar ( NetRep Advisors).
http://www.alfanos.org
|Highwayman|

zarathustra wrote:(6) Joe Bisz asked: It seems that when cards refer to the word "items", they mean "all items", including unique, non-unique, hoard and non-hoard, special and non-special. Thus, Forge-master and Earth-eater could target hoard items (but not non-uniques, since the card says so) and Lucky Search and Legacy of Smiths could target all, and War-Forges could not target either uniques or hoard because the card says specificially so.

Is this correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is correct. Note that there are no hoard items that Forge-Master would allow you to play: all the hoard items are battle gear. Note also that Legacy of Smiths does not target your items.
The Forge-master fetches battle gear - non-unique weapon/armor/shield/helmet minor items - so it could fetch Adamant Helmet fir example, but nothing else I think cuz as I recall every other minor hoard-item isn't a weapon/armor/shield/helmet...
Going ever under dark,
Having the clouded sky above me -
And pale nothingness beneath me,
I see a light in the distant darkness,
It beckons me in and I accept it's invitation...
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

sorry to say but this is wrong in so far that not all hoard items are battle gear

Old Treasure
Jewel of Beleriand
Necklace of Silver and Pearls
these are just the minors I remember

mfg Nicolai
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Looks like I misread "Forgemaster".... ;)
http://www.alfanos.org
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm not sure which cards you have in mind, but here's an example of a card that is "playable on a non-automatic attack": Tormented Earth. This card cancels an attack. Given that cards which normally cancel attacks are normally playable against auto-attacks, Tormented Earth would be playable against auto-attacks unless it specified otherwise. I don't see how ICE could have worded things differently in this case. Presumably you're interested in Annotation 18 and the severe restrictions it seems to place on a company facing an auto-attack. All I can say is that this example will not get you anywhere. Sorry.
If this is the case, then what about Hounds of Sauron?
Alternatively, playable on a non-automatic attack against a shadow-magic using character. The number of strikes of the attack is reduced to one.

Return to “CoE Rulings Digest #114 - #125”