Card art variations / cards with different art

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

I've always been interested in cards featuring different or varying illustrations. You might remember that Chris Cable once had compiled a nice list of card art alterations (http://www.meccg.net/trading/promo.htm)

It's only recently struck me that there are two versions of LE's "magic ring of guile", one of which is showing a kind of light reflection on the leather glove and the other one isn't. That, at least, goes for the German version, see the attached. The original painting shows the reflection.

If you know about other alterations, let's collect them in this thread, cheers!
Attachments
Rings.JPG
Rings.JPG (166.8 KiB) Viewed 8668 times
DamienX207
Council Member

Although I don't have more alternates to offer, I do have a question: do any of the hardcore collectors out there know the relative rarity of the "Hobbit Fellowship" w zoomed in art? (i.e. Is it around 1 in 10 Fellowships vs 1 in 100 etc) ... (and also, is there an official community name for this misprint so I don't look like an idiot for calling it a "Hobbit Fellowship"?) :D

And thanks Khamul for sharing that link -- I'd never seen those Spanish alternate arts -- so cool!
darkyeoman

That Dutch Test of Form sure is prettier than the English one (though I don't know why they added the Dutch logo for the game to the image).

thedarkness

DamienX207 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm Although I don't have more alternates to offer, I do have a question: do any of the hardcore collectors out there know the relative rarity of the "Hobbit Fellowship" w zoomed in art? (i.e. Is it around 1 in 10 Fellowships vs 1 in 100 etc) ... (and also, is there an official community name for this misprint so I don't look like an idiot for calling it a "Hobbit Fellowship"?) :D

And thanks Khamul for sharing that link -- I'd never seen those Spanish alternate arts -- so cool!
Excellent question. I don't know the answer, but I would like to rebroadcast to see if anyone knows.
“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.” - LOTR
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Could you provide scans from the different Fellowship art, please? The only difference I know about is between the limited and the unlimited versions, but that's not what you mean, is it?
DamienX207
Council Member

For sure, they're on that page you posted :)

Normal Unlimited Fellowship:

Zoomed-in/"misprinted" Unlimited Fellowship (Hobbits!):

From what I've read online, I'm guessing they're something in the vicinity of 1 in 10-20 or thereabouts (i.e. not super rare, from what I can tell), but would be really interesting to hear from someone with a ton of Unlimited cards about what ratio they've cracked!
CCG Collector

DamienX207 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:57 pm Although I don't have more alternates to offer, I do have a question: do any of the hardcore collectors out there know the relative rarity of the "Hobbit Fellowship" w zoomed in art? (i.e. Is it around 1 in 10 Fellowships vs 1 in 100 etc) ... (and also, is there an official community name for this misprint so I don't look like an idiot for calling it a "Hobbit Fellowship"?) :D
I think it's just 1 to 1, because the two images came from two different print runs of Wizards Unlimited. I don't know the order they came in, but one print run had gold foil on the wrappers, brighter card colors (most noticeable in the blue card borders), and the zoomed in version of Fellowship. The other run had silver foil on the wrappers, darker card colors (again, obvious on the borders), and the correct version of Fellowship. You can see packs from each run here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHSUs3GZ-g

I pull (but ignore) the zoomed in Fellowship from a gold pack at 2:34.

EDIT: Turns out I actually compare the two versions in this video (3:44 if the link doesn't go straight there):
https://youtu.be/ItvL0D3vrw0?t=3m44s
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
nico21000

I'd say that the MELE 'Magic Ring of Guile' in french has the light reflection, but maybe it's just a different exposition :

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”