Draft of CoE Digest #200 Q4 - Transferring items - Open until August 27th

Manuel
Council Chairman

In order to contribute to this thread please follow these rules:

1) The thread will be open until August 27th. The usual time is two weeks but having in mind that it's vacation time we've decided to leave it open a bit longer.
2) There will be a maximum of one reply per forum user, and that reply cannot be edited. We want to actively avoid starting "flame wars", so please speak your peace, let others speak their peace, and that's it.
3) After the review period, the ROC will carefully consider everyone's contributions, revise the draft as appropriate, and then the Digest will be published and official.
In order to transfer an item between two characters, do those characters need to be in the same company, or only in the same site?

During the organization phase, the resource player may transfer an item from one character in a company to another character in a different company, as long as both companies are in the same site. This ruling is upheld by all rulebooks except for the rules summary of the Balrog and Challenge Decks.
ICE Rules Digest #515 Q6 also endorses it:

QUERY 6

Anthony Perez-Miller

Van Norton wrote:

Situation: I arrive with company A at a Haven with company B. Can i transfer an item to company B during my next org. phase and maintain same companies (A / B) at the end of my org phase? (i.e. can a character of company B join company A for the transfer and join company B after the transfer of the item?)

R: The items can be transfered without altering the companies.

What if one of the companies is bearing a Fellowship? Prior to this, any such transfer meant that the companies would combine, and then split again, meaning that Fellowship would be discarded. I assume that the same would hold for the Orc version of Fellowship (Swarm of Bats, or the like). Has there been a change when I wasn’t looking?

Nothing has changed as far as I know. The rules say that characters must be at the same site to transfer items. It doesn’t not say they have to be in the same company. Of course, the only time you can have two companies at the same site without them combining is at a Haven, so maybe that’s what you are remembering.
Note that this ruling should be considered an errata to the TRANSFERRING/STORING ITEMS section from the MECCG Rules Summary of The Balrog and Challenge Decks.
www.meccg.com
Theo

I am in agreement with this ruling. I would advocate for it being labeled as a clarification rather than an errata to the The Balrog and Challenge Decks rules summaries.

A summary necessarily touches main points while simplifying details. Erratum list and correct an errors in printing, and in this situation would suggest that a text acknowledged as simplification was erroneous. It doesn't make sense to me to say this printing is erroneous, just that the simplification could be misleading. (There is nothing "wrong" with the text, just a difference of opinion about which details to include.)
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Manuel
Council Chairman

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

The ROC will study them carefully and come up with a final digest soon.
www.meccg.com

Return to “Drafts”