Results of action caused by passive condition vs Ongoing effect

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Inspired by Draft of CoE Digest #201 Q5 - In the Heart of his Realm - Open until September 24th
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 163&t=3325

I will start from explanation of existing state of things (according to my notion), then I will try to justify the notion, then I will try to show what phenomenons may be expected from rulings that try to regulate the game against the notion.

Once applied, results of action caused by passive condition do not depend on presence of a card that caused the action nor on the condition.
Just like results of short-event do not depend on presence in play of the short-event that caused it nor on existence of its active conditions.
A company returned to its site of origin in result of action from Snowstorm, The Way is Shut is not returned to a moving state when the cards leave play.
Characters wounded/discarded/eliminated while facing of attack from Smaug Ahunt do not heal/are not returned to play when Smaug Ahunt leaves play.
Sites tapped in result of action from Long Winter do not untap when Long Winter leaves play, or when their site's site path no longer has at least [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-].

Ongoing effect is not applied to any object. Rather objects are under the effect as long a card that creates it (and eventually other conditions) is in play. Once the card (and/or other conditions) leave play, the ongoing effect disappears.
Once Fell Winter leaves play all [-me_bh-] lose an additional Wolves AA. Once Fell Winter and/or Doors of Night leave play [-me_fd-] treated as [-me_bl-], [-me_bl-] treated as [-me_wi-] are no longer so treated.

Modification of faced attacks resulting from cards like Rank upon Rank, Redoubled Force are applied as actions caused by passive condition.
Modification to attributes of characters, allies, items resulting from cards like Clear Skies, Night, Fellowship, Itangast at Home are ongoing effects.

It is ICE's decision that modification of faced attack resulting from Rank upon Rank is applied as result of action (see CRF entry for Ready to his Will).
It allows to assume that the same applies to other cards like Rank upon Rank, Minions Stir, Redoubled Force and so on.

Why to treat modifications to attributes of characters, allies, items, sites, regions resulting from cards like Clear Skies, Night, Fellowship, Itangast at Home, Fell Winter differently?
Unlike faced attacks that exist in play by short time (and later they disappear or, in case of AA, are no longer faced), characters, allies, items, sites, regions exist in play constantly and if to treat them as passive conditions for actions that affect their attributes, the actions would be triggered constantly.

What to expect from rulings that try to regulate game against the notion?
Anything, depending on author. The last things I am expecting are a clarity and a consistency.

Some examples are artificial, crafted by me.
E.g. what if to treat effects of Fell Winter as actions caused by passive conditions, not as ongoing effect?
Fell Winter resolves and in next chain of effects the actions caused by the card are declared.
Action: receives Wolves AA. Passive condition: [-me_bh-].

For each [-me_bh-] the action is declared, resolves or fizzles (if in meantime site type of former [-me_bh-] has been changed).
What if later Fell Winter will be discarded? If to expect an consistency, the same as for results of other actions caused by passive condition.
Sites still have an additional Wolves AA. Next copy of Fell Winter, the same procedure as above and sites will have next additional Wolves AA.

What if Fell Winter resolves and Doors of Night is in play?
The Wizards: Fell Winter
Rarity: Common, Precise: CA1

Hazard: Long-event

Environment. Each [-me_bh-] receives an automatic-attack: Wolves – 3 strikes with 7 prowess. Additionally, if Doors of Night is in play, treat all [-me_fd-] as [-me_bl-] and all [-me_bl-] as [-me_wi-] . Cannot be duplicated.
If to treat "Additionally, if Doors of Night is in play, [...]" as actions caused by passive conditions, not as ongoing effect:
for each [-me_fd-] the action "treat it as [-me_bl-]" is declared, for each [-me_bl-] the action "treat it as [-me_wi-]" is declared.
And it expected that there will be a second pass, because after first pass all [-me_fd-] are treated as [-me_bl-] and become passive conditions for "treat it as [-me_wi-]".
What if later Fell Winter will be discarded and/or Doors of Night will not be in play?
If to expect an consistency, the same as for results of other actions caused by passive condition.

In proposed ruling for In the Heart of his Realm there is notion that:
"Additionally, any sage at a site in a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth, or moving with a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth in his site path, loses his sage skill."
is action caused by passive condition where condition is "sage at a site in a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth, or moving with a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth in his site path" and action is "loses his sage skill".

If to treat "Additionally, any sage at a site in a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth, or moving with a Dark‐domain or Gorgoroth in his site path, loses his sage skill." as ongoing effect it is easy to answer the question "when former sage regains his sage skill?". Once In the Heart of his Realm will leave play and/or when he will leave affect site/lose affected region in his site path".

Inferring from post of DamienX207 in appropriate thread I doubt that autors are caring about compliance with rest of game and comparison to Magic and other games made by DamienX207 make me fear about their sources of inspiration. Seem like making of hybrid of action caused by passive condition and ongoing effect is solution they like. Maybe even in conviction that it is a norm in MECCG.

The game is already complex, that is good thing for some (I like it). Being complex does not mean being complicated.
In my opinion the ruling proposed for Heart of his Realm will make game more complicated for unclear purpose.

EDIT: Removed last sentence.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:52 amIt is ICE's decision that modification of faced attack resulting from Rank upon Rank is applied as result of action (see CRF entry for Ready to his Will).
It allows to assume that the same applies to other cards like Rank upon Rank, Minions Stir, Redoubled Force and so on.
Does anybody have the original source on this? There have been times where a question and answer have had their sense changed by having their context removed.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I have document dated on 2001 where the entry is:
Note that cards like Rank Upon Rank are applied as a passive condition, once an
attack of the right type is in play. Therfore you can play and successfully resolve
Ready to His Will in respons to the declaration of Rank Upon Rank's effect.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

But who said it, and in what context?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Authors of CRF (are you suspecting that not from ICE? Maybe...)
Context... standalone entry. Changed in 2018,

https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 144&t=3395
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The reason I ask is that enough difficulties arise from it that I'd rather be certain it was something ICE officially said, rather than something ICE implied as a response to something else.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I is easy to imagine that effects of cards like Rank upon Rank, Minions Stir are realized as ongoing effect.
It generally would work with one problem.
Any effect that would change the number of strikes for an attack may not be played
after strikes are assigned. This includes cards that have other additional effects, and
cards that only indirectly change the number of strikes.
If the effects of cards like Rank upon Rank, Minions Stir are realized as actions caused by active conditions, the problem does not happen. Once applied results of actions caused by active conditions does not depend on presence of card that caused it. So Rank upon Rank, Minions Stir may be discarded between resolving strikes of faced attack, whether in result of Marvels Told or as side effect of exhausting deck (that is discarding as side effect The Will of Sauron and also as side effect Minions Stir).
If Rank upon Rank is in play the effect that would cause appearing of Doors of Nignt between resolving attacks from Giants is forbidden in both cases (whether effects of Rank upon Rank are realized as ongoing effect or as action caused by passive conditions).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Annotation 26 is about ongoing effects and about interactions between them.
CRF, Rulings by Term, Passive Conditions is about actions caused by passive conditions and about interactions between them.

A creating of mix of ongoing effect and result of action caused by passive condition leads to situation when the two set of rules are in conflict.
Both are competing for being applicable for some situation.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”