Characters in sideboard of Fallen Wizard

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Is it forbidden for FW player to include Ringwraith and other Wizard characters in sideboard?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

When you play a Fallen-wizard, assume that your Fallen-wizard is a METW "Wizard". All of the normal METW rules apply except for the specific exceptions outlined in these rules. The ME:LE rules that concern Wizards also apply to Fallen-wizards.
WIZARDS - When the rules and cards refer to a Wizard, they apply to your Fallen-wizard.
Up to 3 copies of one Wizard or Ringwraith is allowed in a play deck, or up to 2 copies of one and 1 copy of another. One copy each of three different Wizards or Ringwraiths is not allowed.
If you are playing a Fallen-wizard, you must tell your opponent which Fallen-wizard you are playing before choosing starting companies.
Technically, you *can* include Wizard characters in the sideboard. You cannot include RWs, as Wizards are not allowed to put RWs anywhere in their decks. I'm not sure why one would choose to put a wizard in, since you declare which FW you are when you begin the game, making the play of any different FW card on your part illegal.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:39 pm You cannot include RWs, as Wizards are not allowed to put RWs anywhere in their decks.
Maybe I am blind, but... where it is stated?
Hero player may not include Troll Lout in his deck/sideboard/pool but FW player can.
Bandobras Took wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:39 pm I'm not sure why one would choose to put a wizard in, since you declare which FW you are when you begin the game, making the play of any different FW card on your part illegal.
Ride Against the Enemy (I am sacrificing my secret plan).
Drughu (not Gandalf for the reason; I am sacrificing my another secret plan).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

FW can use Orcs and Trolls because, in the FW rules, they have rules allowing orcs and trolls in their decks.

They do not have a similar stated rule for RWs, so they use Wizard rules.

Ride Against the Enemy should work, though.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:04 pm FW can use Orcs and Trolls because, in the FW rules, they have rules allowing orcs and trolls in their decks.

They do not have a similar stated rule for RWs, so they use Wizard rules.
What about characters like Nain?
Hero player may not include Nain in his deck/sideboard/pool but FW player can.
The restriction that prevents a hero player from including characters like Nain is not inherited by FW player.
Is there some different restriction that prevents a hero player from including Ringwraiths?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

FWs are permitted by the WH insert to use minion characters.

"Using MELE With METW" otherwise forbids using minion characters.

But RWs do not count as minion characters for the purpose of deck construction. The rules clearly state that Minion Characters have a rusted purple background.

Under the rules for deck construction, apart from minion characters, a RW player may *also* include up to three RWs. This rule is not given to Wizards or FWs. See also "Getting Ready To Play" in METW Rules, where adding two wizard cards is treated separately from adding up to 10 character cards (note also that hero characters are distinguished by the blue stone background in METW rules, though the term hero character was introduce with MELE). Note also under "Revealing A Wizard" that your wizards
acts as a character
and
operates as a character
once played, but are not understood as being a character in the same sense as a regular hero character during deck construction.

Without a rule to allow placing RWs in the deck, neither Wizards nor FWs have the option, just as RWs have no option to include Wizard cards in their deck. FWs would not have the option to use *any* minion character cards were it not for the special rules included in the WH insert, but nowhere is there provision for including RW cards.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:24 am Without a rule to allow placing RWs in the deck, neither Wizards nor FWs have the option, just as RWs have no option to include Wizard cards in their deck.
OK. Thanks.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:24 am The rules clearly state that Minion Characters have a rusted purple background.
Now I understand more the phrase "(including your Ringwraith)" in text of Weigh All Things to a Nicety.
Now I do not understand a meaning of your in phrase "(including your Ringwraith)".
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

So far as I can tell, the text of Weigh All Things has the phrase "including a Ringwraith," not "including your Ringwraith."
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Right.
I have encountered error in text of card at Cardnum.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:24 am But RWs do not count as minion characters for the purpose of deck construction. The rules clearly state that Minion Characters have a rusted purple background.
Wait.
Lidless Eye wrote:Minion: A character controlled by a Ringwraith player. Non-Ringwraith minion cards have a rusted-purplish iron
background. Each Ringwraith minion card has a blood-red stone background. Minions are the only characters included
in MELE.
White Hand wrote:Starting Characters
Your starting characters (up to 5) may include hero characters and minion characters, but you may not start a character with a mind greater than 5. However, you may not start Orc and Troll characters unless you start with an appropriate stage resource card (e.g. Bad Company).
White Hand wrote:Characters — You may use both hero and minion characters. However, you may only use a character if his mind attribute is 5 or less. All of your non-Orc/Troll characters are considered to be hero characters. You may only use up to two of each non-unique character.
For me it is clear that there are two definitions of minion character, one for purpose of including characters, other applicable once when the characters are included in deck/pool/sideboard.

It is not clear for me why only Minion Character cards that have a rusted purple background should be taken into account, but that that have blood-red stone background should not be taken into account.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Ooh, nice find!

Edit: I think the premise of avatars being treated differently than other characters for purposes of deck construction still holds. This would be another case of ICE blurring terms and definitions when writing rules, unfortunately.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”