Hero Pallando, discarding face-up and face-up discard pile

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The Wizards: Pallando
Character: Avatar

Unique. His controlling player may keep one more card than normal in his hand. Opponent must discard his cards face up. "They came therefore in the shape of Men, though they were never young and aged only slowly..."-LotR Home Site: Grey Havens
Common practice is an inverting face-up the cards in discard pile and placing face-up cards discarded face-up on top of the pile, when effects like Hero Pallando comes in play (and when first card of opponent is being discarded).

I doubt whether it is a correct practice.
Firstly, it reveals more information that it is required. Player may search for a card in his face-up discard pile and then his opponent knows whether he chose top card or other card from discard pile. This is more information than just knowing an obverse of discarded card.
Secondly, the situation complicates in multiplayer games. Not only the players allowed to see an obverse of discarded card have above information, but all players have access to them.

EDIT:
"avers" -> "obverse"
Last edited by Konrad Klar on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Theo

Aver is normally a verb. Are you talking about status?

As for common practice, I've not played with anyone that thought that the existing discard pile must be inverted.
CRF wrote:Cards discarded from a player's hand must be discarded one at a time. This is mainly to allow a Pallando player to see each card as it is discarded.
CRF wrote:Pallando
Can only see the top card of an opponent's discard pile.
Yes, this means that if the player manipulates the top card then the other players know it. I do not understand your concern about the top card being revealed to multiple players; is it just for story reasons? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

:oops:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awers_i_rewers
I had in mind an obverse of card.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 pm Yes, this means that if the player manipulates the top card then the other players know it. I do not understand your concern about the top card being revealed to multiple players; is it just for story reasons? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
The story is that the supposed purpose of the concept of discarding face-up does not match its implementation.
Supposed purpose is giving a player (who has appropriate effect) information about what is an obverse of discarded card, and nothing more.
Theo

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am Secondly, the situation complicates in multiplayer games. Not only the players allowed to see an obverse of discarded card have above information, but all players have access to them.
For what it's worth:
Middle Earth: The Wizards NetRep 1996/2/19 wrote:In multi-player we've ruled that anyone dicarding [sic] must show pallando the
discards before tossing them.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”