Keyed to? Clarified

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
rezwits
Council Member

I am trying to find out what the actual definition of "Keyed to" actually means, i.e. clarification of sorts.

For instance when you play a creature and announce the region(s) you are keying to, what does this actually mean? We know when we key to a site, that site type is, as far as I know, the SOLE single type/symbol: [-me_ha-] [-me_fh-] [-me_bh-] [-me_rl-] [-me_sh-] [-me_dh-] , you can't or don't
need to key to multiple site types at ONCE.

As far as regions, as far as I know, the only combination of region keying is to regions of the same type such as:
[-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] or [-me_sl-] [-me_sl-] , etc.
But what does this actually mean?

Take for instance:
Winged Fire-drake wrote:Drake. Two strikes. Attacker chooses defending characters. Three Wildernesses [-me_wi-] or two Shadow-lands [-me_sl-] in site path are required. "'As like as not it is the marauding fire of the Dragon, the only king under the Mountain we have ever known.'"-Hob
If you announce "Keyed to Wilderness" are you keying to [-me_wi-] or [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] ?

In essence when you key a creature to a region, is this keyed to the multiple? or just the SOLE single type/symbol?

Thanks! (gotta start off slow)
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 am If you announce "Keyed to Wilderness" are you keying to [-me_wi-] or [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] ?
Then the creature is considered keyed to [-me_wi-] and [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-] [-me_wi-], but not to a [-me_wi-].
rezwits wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 am In essence when you key a creature to a region, is this keyed to the multiple? or just the SOLE single type/symbol?
If a creature was keyed to some region by the region's name, at resolution the creature is also considered keyed to the type of the region.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
kober

Konrad Klar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 amIf a creature was keyed to some region by the region's name, at resolution the creature is also considered keyed to the type of the region.
What's the source of your statement? It contravenes the following:
MELE Rules Insert wrote:Note: A creature played keyed to a specific region by name is not keyed to the specific region’s type. For example, if Thranduil’s Folk is played keyed to the Grey Mountain Narrows (a Shadow-land region), a target character with a Shadow-cloak can not use it to cancel a strike – the attack is keyed to the region by name, not by type.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Sorry, instead "is also considered keyed to the type of the region." I should say "is also considered keyed to the region of given type."
Thanks for pointing it.
The Lidless Eye: Shadow-cloak
Resource: Minor Item

Shadow-cloak to cancel one hazard creature strike keyed by type to a [-me_sl-] , [-me_sh-] , [-me_sh-] , or [-me_dh-] . Cannot be duplicated on a given character. "...a great silentshape, cloaked in a grey shadow...some nameless menace of power and doom.."-LotRV
Lidless Eye wrote:"Detainment" Attacks
Certain attacks detain targets rather than wound them. When a strike from a detainment attack is successful, an
untapped target is tapped instead of being wounded. This represents the target being stopped and questioned. The
following types of attacks are detainment attacks:
· Card text will sometimes state that an attack is a detainment attack.
· Any Nazgûl attack against a minion company is a detainment attack.
· Any attack keyed to Dark-domains, Shadow-hold, or Dark-hold is a detainment attack.
· Any Orc, Troll, Undead, or Man attack keyed to Shadow-land is a detainment attack.
The parameters apply if the attack is keyed to the region symbol or site symbol (by type) or if keyed to a region or site
by name which happens to be of appropriate type (i.e., has the appropriate symbol).
Underlines mine.

"is also considered keyed to the region of given type." is not the same as "keyed to a specific region by type".

Thranduil’s Folk keyed to Grey Mountain Narrows (a Shadow-land region) is also keyed by name to a region type of Shadow-land, but is not keyed to a Shadow-land region by type.
Cave Worm keyed to Gundabad by the region's name is also keyed by name to a region type of Dark-domain, but is not keyed to a to a Dark-domain region by type. Its attack is considered detainment attack, but Shadow-cloak cannot be used to cancel a strike from the attack.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:50 pm Cave Worm keyed to Gundabad by the region's name is also keyed by name to a region type of Dark-domain, but is not keyed to a to a Dark-domain region by type. Its attack is considered detainment attack, but Shadow-cloak cannot be used to cancel a strike from the attack.
Its attack is considered a detainment attack against a minion company.
kober

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:56 pm Cave Worm keyed to Gundabad by the region's name is also keyed by name to a region type of Dark-domain, but is not keyed to a Dark-domain region by type. Its attack is considered a detainment attack against a minion company, but Shadow-cloak cannot be used to cancel a strike from the attack.
Makes sense! Thank you for the clarification.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”