Webs of Fear and Treachery on guard

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Smaug

Hi,

I have some questions regarding Webs of Fear and Treachery:

1. Can I put it on guard and reveal it in response to an announced influence attempt?
2. Is the ruling still, that it sets all incl. negative modifications (except free GI and DI) to zero (e.g. foolish words) except the ones that are on the character card of the influencing character (so e.g. blazon has no effect against factions?!)?

Cheers

Heiner
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Except for unused general influence and unused normal direct influence (including influence modifications given in a characterÕs card text), all modifications to each influence attempt are reduced to zero.
CRF, Site Phase, On-Guard wrote:You may reveal a card in response to an influence attempt against a faction even if the on-guard card only has an effect if the attempt is successful. You may also reveal a card in response to such an attempt that affects the actual influence attempt.
2. That's not a ruling as such; it's the card text. All modifications are reduced to zero except for unused general influence and unused normal direct influence. This includes modifications from hazards, modifications for influencing across alignments, and the modification of a dice roll made by your opponent.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

I have moved this topic from the Rules & Errata forum to the Rules Questions forum since it does not seem to be a relevant Rules & Errata discussion topic.
Mordakai
Council Member

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but I have some questions regarding the use of this card:

Except for unused general influence and unused normal direct influence (including influence modifications given in a character's card text), all modifications to each influence attempt are reduced to zero

OK, forget about influencing opponent's thinguies, just to influence your own factions:

a) Blazon is cancelled? (it increases unused normal direct influence or not?)
b) Does it cancel the +/- of minion factions writen in the cards (If you have this guys, then this other guys are +2 to the roll, you know)
c) I understand it cancells Foolish Words, Shut yer mouth and similars, right?

Thanks
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

1) It does not increase normal DI. That's as written on the character card, excluding all other cards effects.

2) Yes, it does cancel that.

3) It cancels Foolish Words. Shut Yer Mouth is arguable, as it modified a character's DI, and Webs focuses on unused normal DI.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”