CoE Rulings Digest #117 Debate

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Sorry to say, but I am not happy with this, as it isn't right yet:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I said something stupid about Forge-Master in my last digest. Please ignore " Note that there are no hoard items that Forge-Master would allow you to play: all the hoard items are battle gear."
The Forge-master Stage permevent
Influence: +1
SP: 2
Description: Unique. Saruman specific. Playable on a non-Hobbit sage character or a Man. +1 to his direct influence. The character requires 2 points of influence to control and may only be controlled by general influence or Saruman. If at a Wizardhaven [W] during your organization phase, you may tap this character to place a non-unique weapon/armor/shield/helmet minor item with any character at The Forge-master's site. The recipient need not tap to receive this item, and the item may be taken from your discard pile, sideboard, or hand.

e.g.
Old Treasure - Minion item
Influence: +1
Corruption: 1
Description: Hoard item. +1 direct influence. Discard this item to give +4 direct influence to bearer until the end of the turn.

as I am aware of most cards I believe the only offical non-unique hoard "battle gear item" is the hero resource

Adamant Helmet
Prowess/Body: -/+1
Corruption: 1
Description: Hoard item. Helmet. +1 to body to a maximum of 9. Cancels all dark enchantments targeting bearer.

Also considered as a battle-gear item could be Arrows Shorn of Ebony, but the Forge-master doesn't mention battle-gear as this keyword is only used on dreamcards, but non-unique weapon/armor/shield/helmet minor item

mfg Nicolai
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I don't understand the complaint. The revised ruling for digest 116 is now:
(6) Joe Bisz asked: It seems that when cards refer to the word "items", they mean "all items", including unique, non-unique, hoard and non-hoard, special and non-special. Thus, Forge-master and Earth-eater could target hoard items (but not non-uniques, since the card says so) and Lucky Search and Legacy of Smiths could target all, and War-Forges could not target either uniques or hoard because the card says specificially so.

Is this correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is correct. Note also that Legacy of Smiths does not target your items.
This ruling is 100% correct.
http://www.alfanos.org
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Okay, now I got it, Mark is 100% right

Sorry for falsely complaining

mfg Nicolai
Manuel
Council Chairman

Good job!
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thus, Forge-master and Earth-eater could target hoard items (but not non-uniques, since the card says so) and Lucky Search and Legacy of Smiths could target all, and War-Forges could not target either uniques or hoard because the card says specificially so.
Where is target item of War-Forges, Lucky Search and Legacy of Smiths? Is any item required to play these card? Or maybe my understanding of "target" is wrong?
CRF, Rulings by Term, Target wrote:A target is an entity that an action is played out through. Enitities are only targets of an action if the action specifies those entities by number and type.
Note that "the foo" counts as specifying one "foo."
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”