Wizard's River-horses

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Muad'Dib

(...)cancels an attack against a Wizard if he is the only character in the company(...)
Now im a little confused. For attack allies count as characters. I have a wizard with ally. Can i play Wizard's River-horses to cancel an attack or not? When company is facing some attack wizard is not the only character in his company.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Cancelling combat is one of the purposes of combat for which allies count as characters, so far as I know, so River-Horses will not work.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Muad'Dib

This is what i thought ;) Thanks for confirmation.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
Muzgash

Bandobras Took wrote:Cancelling combat is one of the purposes of combat for which allies count as characters, so far as I know, so River-Horses will not work.
I didn't realize this. Does this mean allies also count against the count for cards like stealth and sneakin'?
Muad'Dib

No, they count as a characters only for combat.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

These cards do not require a combat to be played (Wizard's River-horses requires combat).
They refer to the company size, not to the number of characters in the company (like Wizard's River-horses does).

The second theoretically may be a problem, if counting an ally as a character for that or other purposes would cause a sudden recalculation of company size.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Nevermind.
At least not here. Both cards require merely scout, not scout character, so no issue here.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Muzgash

Thanks, guys.
yukonik

Good morning Guys.

Question on allies. Can an ally be targeted by an assassing, slayer, cave dragon...etc. the card says "the atacker chooses the defending characters", in this case there is combat and the ally counts as character when in combat, let's say the ally in this case is roac the raven and it is facing an assassin.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

yukonik wrote:in this case there is combat and the ally counts as character when in combat
First, allies count as characters for the purposes of combat, they do not count as characters when in combat. That distinction is important to remember; if something is not related to combat, the ally will not count as a character even if they are facing a strike.

Secondly, allies may be targeted by strikes unless they have a wording that says they may not face strikes/attacks. Goldberry, for example, may not be assigned strikes. A good indicator of whether an ally can be targeted is if they have a prowess/body value. Even then, though, some allies may not be assigned certain strikes (e.g. the Ent allies).
yukonik

Thank you for your answer. Then 2 questions.

First, based on example. And If I understand right from your reply. Roac the Raven can be assinged the strikes of assassin, right.

Second. For instance I have a company with Boromir and Kill, Boromir has billy the pony and Kili Roac the Raven, and they are facing watcher in the water, that states that each character of the company must face a strike. In this case do Bill or Bill have to also face each of them a strike?

Thank you
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Roac can indeed be assigned the strikes from an Assassin.

If an ally is capable of being assigned a strike from the creature, they will be assigned a strike. Assigning strikes is one of the purposes of combat for which allies count as characters. Therefore Watcher in the Water will attack the allies as well as their controllers.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”