Tower Raided

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

as far as I'm concerned, a faction is always played at a site it says it's played at, or at the site it specifically mentions it may be played at.
After all, it says so on the faction (or on the site).
If you play the faction by some other way, e.g. Roac or Hour of Need, this represents you go fetch the faction.

whether the play/fetch of this faction taps the site is another matter. An opponent wanting to influence this faction must still move to the site it must be played at. Hence, I'd say it is played at that site, whether that site is in play or not.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

So you are disregarding distinction between "may be played at" and "is playable at"?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well that distinction might exist, but I don't see how it's relevant here. Sure, if it may be played at a site, that doesn't mean it's automatically playable at the site.

But the question here is whether with helper cards such as Roac/Hour of Need/Old Roads, the faction is actually considered played (past tense!) at the site, isn't it? The helper cards don't make the facation playable at the site, they state "you may attempt to bring it into play," or in the case of Hour of Need simply state "play the faction from hand."

Literally, playing the faction (while) at the site doesn't mean it's played at the site. If it is ruled that "bring into play" automatically means it is played at the site, then fine. Bandobras reasons a faction is always played at the site where the influencing character is. Might sound reasonable, but afaik it's not defined as such. And theme for e.g. Roac would suggest otherwise. Thus, until further specification, the faction is considered played at the site(s) mentioned on the faction card, even if brought into play by a char at another site.

So does Hour of Need work for Tower Raided? I still don't know, but I suppose not. Even though the faction is not played at the site, it must still be played by a character at the site, and TR says no faction is playable.
Either way, No Strangers would not work for it, as you have not played the faction at the site.
Also I suppose Hour of Need on Wild Hounds would still not work for Tower Raided in a Wilderness region, as the faction would be considered playsble at the site, even though it technically it could be any other Ruins in a Wilder.

The determination "is played at" seems a technicality, at least I don't see major consequences, who knows there might be. Literally this way you could play No Strangers at any of your other companies present at the site where the faction played with Hour of Need is playable. Seems good theme to me, so no problem.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:So does Hour of Need work for Tower Raided? I still don't know, but I suppose not. Even though the faction is not played at the site, it must still be played by a character at the site, and TR says no faction is playable.
The Framsburg site cards says that minor items are playable there and that the site contains hoard.
So major items are not playable there.
This does not prevent anyone from playing a major item at tapped Framsburg with help of Bounty of The Hoard.
And the Hidden Haven, or Mischief in a Mean Way that says "Nothing is playable as written on the site card" does not change the picture.

So whether a faction played with help of Röac the Raven, or Hour of Need is considered played at site, or is not considered played at site, what is playable or not playable at the diplomat company's/Röac company's site is irrelevant.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Bounty of the Hoard specifically mentions tapped sites. Hour of Need does not.

Likewise, Erratum for Roac the Raven allows tapped sites/not tapping the site, which suggests the faction is not played at the site.

Hour of Need/Old Road say nothing about not tapping the character's site as the result of the successful play of a faction.

Balrog rules say that tapping the character's site is the result of successful play of a faction.

The implication is that the faction is played at the character's site.

Tower Raided says that no factions are playable there. Granted that the meaning of the phrase is up for debate, the likely intention of the card is that you can't play factions there.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:Bounty of the Hoard specifically mentions tapped sites. Hour of Need does not.
Not sure if it will be helpful, anyway:
Lucky Search
An item played with help of LS is played by character at site. Does it mean, that this is played at the site?
Any answer on this question will have impact on possibility of playing a hoard items and an items of alignment opposite to the site (latter for FW only).
Bandobras Took wrote:Tower Raided says that no factions are playable there. Granted that the meaning of the phrase is up for debate, the likely intention of the card is that you can't play factions there.
ICE sometimes use term "is not playable" instead "may not be played", where "is not playable" apparently does not make sense.
E.g. in Fortress of The Towers, Fortress of Isen texts, but CRF* says that it prevents opponent from playing character that gives MP.
But a term "playable at site" is not applicable to characters. They may by only played (at their home site, at haven, at site where influence attempt was made).

I do not see, what you are seeing.
For me statement that no faction is playable at Tower Raided site makes both thematical, and technical sense.
Hold of faction has been destroyed and now the faction is homeless.
Trouble on All Borders has no effect for faction playable nowhere.
The faction has no hold that would have a borders, so there are no trouble on (non-existing) borders.
The faction playable nowhere also does not have a base for invasion on neighbour site (Long Grievous Siege may not be played on such faction).

*)
CRF, Rulings by Term, Wizardhaven wrote:If you are influencing against your opponent, and he is at a Wizardhaven where you
can not play cards that give MPs, you can reveal the card you are influencing against
to reduce the number you roll against to 0, but you may not play that card afterwards
(if it gives MPs).
marcos
Council Member

this topic is filling my email inbox with spam :lol:
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

One thing that was overlooked:
By the end of the site phase, tap a scout in the company or discard this card. If this card is not discarded, all versions of this site are now [-me_rl-] , and no factions are playable there. Discard this card when the site is discarded or returned to your location deck.

So there is time between successful playing of Tower Raided and discarding it/retaining it in play. During this period a faction (that does not require an untapped site to be played) may be played at the site; there is also a time to untap the site and to play a faction (still) playable at the site.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

And:
Happy birthday, Morgul_Rat!

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”