Univeral Rules Document

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Version 1.1 is here.

This incorporates the rules to be found in the seven primary rules documents and selections from the CRF. Feel free to point out errors/mistakes, so long as you remember:

1) This is not meant to incorporate the CRF yet; and
2) It should actually be a mistake/oversight. Not a debate on interpretation. Feel free to post a link to a debate on interpretation, though.

As of March 3, 2011, the NetRep has happily taken over maintenance of this document. A current version will be found here. (Unless my internet skills are falling into suck mode, which may very well be the case.) :)
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 1.1.pdf
(252.75 KiB) Downloaded 1801 times
Last edited by Bandobras Took on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Version 2.0 is here, and incorporates all non-card-specific CRF information.

Version 1.1 remains available for those who don't really like the CRF. :)
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 2.0.pdf
(340.29 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
zirilan

So it is not possible to play "Not at Home" to reduce the strikes of the automatic-attack anymore?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It's generally held that cards which specify they are playable on automatic-attacks override this rule.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Version 2.1: I incorporated some CRF info I had missed.
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 2.1.pdf
(343.9 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Excellent work! :D
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Important omission:

I noticed that I forgot to include cards which affect the automatic attack under legal possibilities of cards that can be revealed on-guard. You can reveal such cards, and this will be added in the next update.
extrememedium

This document is great, thanks. One (very minor) thing - I was looking through it for details of when "on-guard" cards are returned to the hazard player's hand if unplayed, and unless I have been very inattentive, I couldn't find the answer. From reading elsewhere it appears that they return at the end of the site phase. Would it be worth inserting this sometime, for completeness? I understand that you probably have other things on your mind at the moment though!

Thanks,

Stephen
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Thanks; I'll add it.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

4.0 Done. I'm including the source text file (.odt, OpenOffice) in case people don't like the appearance.
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 4.0.pdf
(541.04 KiB) Downloaded 770 times
METW URD source text.zip
(126.58 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

extrememedium wrote:This document is great, thanks. One (very minor) thing - I was looking through it for details of when "on-guard" cards are returned to the hazard player's hand if unplayed, and unless I have been very inattentive, I couldn't find the answer. From reading elsewhere it appears that they return at the end of the site phase. Would it be worth inserting this sometime, for completeness? I understand that you probably have other things on your mind at the moment though!

Thanks,

Stephen
LE Rules:

PLACING A CARD ON-GUARD
During the movement/hazard phase of your opponent's turn, you may place one card on-guard for each of your opponent's companies. This card is played face down next to the company's new site or next to its current site if it did not move. Any card can be placed on-guard (i.e., it does not have to be a hazard, you can bluff). Such a card does count against the hazard limit for the company it is placed on. The card will remain on that site until one of the following occurs:
· The company decides to face the site's automatic-attack. If the on-guard card is a hazard creature keyed to the company's site or a hazard that can modify the automatic-attack, it may be revealed before the automatic-attack is resolved. If it is a hazard creature, it will attack after the automatic-attack is resolved.
· The company plays a card that potentially taps the site. If the on-guard card is a non-creature hazard, it may be revealed if it is a hazard that directly affects the company or a character in the company (e.g., a hazard that forces all characters to make a corruption check).
· Otherwise, return the card to your hand at the end of the site phase.
In the first two cases, the card is handled as if it had been played during the movement-hazard phase (i.e., short-events are discarded, long-events last until your opponent's next long-event phase, etc.).
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Version 4.1: Konrad Klar Precision Version 1

Konrad Klar made a number of suggestions to tighten up the wording, make it consistent, and plug up a few loopholes. His help is greatly appreciated, so somebody who lives near him should buy him a drink or something. :)
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 4.1.pdf
(545.12 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote:Version 4.1: Konrad Klar Precision Version 1

Konrad Klar made a number of suggestions to tighten up the wording, make it consistent, and plug up a few loopholes. His help is greatly appreciated, so somebody who lives near him should buy him a drink or something. :)
Now I regret that my Wish List at Amazon was empty at resolution of quoted post. :)
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
alfon82

Great job :)
Eyelid

Thank you for this valuable tool. Great job compiling all that information!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect
"If you believe in Eternity, then life is irrelevant". House M.D.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”