Master of Wood, Water or Hill

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

Master of Wood, Water, or Hill
Ritual. Tap a sage to change one Wilderness [w] to a Border-land or Shadow-land [s] or one Shadow-land [s] to a Wilderness [w] or one Border-land to a Wilderness [w].
Sage makes a corruption check.

Is it possible to target any region on the map, even if no company travels through the region ?
For example, if a company moves from Isengard to Hermit's Hill (Gap of Isen, Fangorn, Wold and Foothills), may Brown Lands be targeted ?
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Yes.
Regions are in play all time.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
kober

If there were two [-me_sl-] in company's path, and a hazard creature keyed to a [-me_sl-] was declared, followed by Master of Wood, Water or Hill, which upon resolution changed one of the [-me_sl-] into a [-me_wi-], would the attack fizzle even though there's another [-me_sl-] left in the path?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

No.
MELE wrote:Creature Cards
You may use a creature card to directly attack one of your opponent's companies. Such an attack can occur only if one of the following criterion is met:
· The company is at a specific site at which the creature's card text says it can be played.
· The company's site of origin or new site is in a region where the creature's card text says it can be played.
· One of the site symbols on the creature's card matches the site that the company moved to (i.e., the new site) or stayed at (i.e., if the company did not move).
· At least one of the region symbols on the creature's card matches one of the region types the company moved through this turn (see below). If the creature's card has two region symbols of the same type (i.e., a deep Wilderness creature), then the company must have moved through at least two regions of that same type.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

As a beginner trying to learn this game - what is the point of targeting a non-used region with Master of Wood? Is the idea to simply discard that card from your hand? Just managing the number of cards in your hand?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Offhand, the card doesn't list a duration, so it's anybody's guess how long it lasts.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm As a beginner trying to learn this game - what is the point of targeting a non-used region with Master of Wood? Is the idea to simply discard that card from your hand? Just managing the number of cards in your hand?
What you mean by "used region" or by "non-used region"?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Actually the duration of the effect may be indefinite. As with other short-events that cause actions, the action is not undone merely because the short-event is discarded. Whatever region is changed will remain changed until something changes it again. (Compare cards such as Fog/Moon, where one merely "treats" a given region as a different type.)

This has some implications for Deeper Shadow, as well.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 pm This has some implications for Deeper Shadow, as well.
And for Witch-king of Angmar (as long-event), that is particularly strange.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Ugh.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 pm
CDavis7M wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm As a beginner trying to learn this game - what is the point of targeting a non-used region with Master of Wood? Is the idea to simply discard that card from your hand? Just managing the number of cards in your hand?
What you mean by "used region" or by "non-used region"?
Referencing the original question, I mean - why would a player use this card to target a region that they are not currently traveling to? Is there a reason to do this, besides just to reduce the cards in your hand?

Now, with the talk of this card's effect being indefinite (I had assumed it was limited to a single movement phase), perhaps you would play this card to impact your opponents movement phase. Though, I would expect the card to have been labeled as a "long/permanent" event if the effect was meant to last longer. Though I am unfamiliar with most of the cards in this game.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Even if player does not have a company traveling through/staying at site in given region, potentially he can have such company, even in the same turn.
Type of region can also affect a playability of some factions.

There are many short-events that have an effects that do not expire. Probably information about duration of the effects have been omitted by mistake (but who knows?).
CDavis7M

That's a good point. Thanks for your explanation Konrad.
dirhaval

I agree that the card, MWWH, can be played during the Organization phase.
I read before that it cannot since the region cards, as written in the rules,
are yet revealed when a new site is revealed.

But I have read that cards played during the Organization Phase
take effect at the start of the Movement/hazard phase or Long-event phase
when the effect is applied (e.g. Many Turns and Doublings reducing hazard limit).

Right?
Sorry for not stating official rullings; I am bad at that.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

A region is in play all time and it does not need to be represented by a card.
dirhaval wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 am But I have read that cards played during the Organization Phase
take effect at the start of the Movement/hazard phase or Long-event phase
when the effect is applied (e.g. Many Turns and Doublings reducing hazard limit).
Not sure what you read, but the rule does not say so:
Effects that are played during the organization phase, and depend on the site or site
path of a moving company, create an effect which is not declared until the new site is
revealed. If the site or site path is not of the appropriate type when the effect resolves,
the resource has no effect. If the company has multiple movement/hazard phases on
the same turn, the card applies separately to each phase, having an effect only if the
correct conditions are met.
Above rule is applicable for cards like Fair Travels In Free-Domains.
Many Turns and Doublings in its second use requires an existing hazard limit (it targets a hazard limit), so in practice may be played only in M/H phase (for its second effect).

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”