Thing Stolen

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thing Stolen wrote:Playable after a faction is successfully played at a Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] or Dark-hold [-me_dh-] . Tap a character at the site to play a non-unique, non-hoard minor or major item (even if the item is not normally playable there). ...Shagrat could not both fight and keep hold of his treasure...-LotRVI
Literally the playability conditions of the card allow it to be played in any turn after a faction is successfully played at a Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] or Dark-hold [-me_dh-]. This does not seem to be intentional and makes the card too powerful.

I propose the following erratum:

"Playable during the same site phase in which a faction has been successfully played at a Shadow-hold [-me_sh-] or Dark-hold [-me_dh-]. Tap a character at the site to play a non-unique, non-hoard minor or major item (even if the item is not normally playable there). ...Shagrat could not both fight and keep hold of his treasure...-LotRVI"
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I don't know how powerful that is. You have to draw the card after having played the faction and have a relevant major/minor item in hand. You can do essentially the same thing far more easily with minion Technology items.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

If it is OK to play some faction at Barad-dûr, and then n turns later play Thing Stolen (in any phase, BTW) then vote "No".
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I see nothing wrong with that (and it can already been done with Creature/Helm, anyway, can't it?).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

BTW. Another example of card that explicitly creates a nested chain of effects. :)
CDavis7M

Update: I don't see any way to track the history in this game. Many cards are played "after" something else and it's always the same phase/turn.
Last edited by CDavis7M on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Though it is easier in this case, as all you have to do is remember where a faction was played.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”