Elven rings can't be doubly worn

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
Theo

I propose adding "cannot be duplicated on a given turn" to Narya and Nenya, parallel to the existing Vilya errata.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Recreating original response:

Vilya received "Cannot be duplicated on a given turn" to limit its self-recycling abilities; I don't know that there's a need for that in the case of the other two.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Adding to this, the Elven rings are continuously worn, but perhaps not used twice per turn. Using Vilya's powers is exhausting ;-)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Theo

Exhausting should rather be achieved by requiring Elrond to tap.

Double-using Nenya makes Galadriel literally unkillable. I don't think an Elven Ring should gift Valarhood.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
Kjeld

I would think the -5 corruption check required for using Narya is already a pretty solid incentive not to use it twice.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:47 pm Exhausting should rather be achieved by requiring Elrond to tap.

Double-using Nenya makes Galadriel literally unkillable. I don't think an Elven Ring should gift Valarhood.
Well, not entirely. Subtlety of Guile can lower her body by 2. It just makes her really, really hard to kill. Mechanics-wise, Galadriel is neither a Warrior nor a Ranger, so she doesn't need to die, as such. She can still be stopped by an inconvenient stream . . .
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Exhausting should rather be achieved by requiring Elrond to tap.
I'm confused, do you want to extend the official Erratum to Narya/Nenya, or change it rather? :-)

Well, thematically you might be correct, even though it's a short-event, some of the effects last a full turn, so it could be considered that the Elven Rings are being used continuously that full turn.

From a balance point of view I do not see big problems, technically Gandalf could gain 12 prowess, but I've yet to see the first person pull that off.
And using Nenya several times per turn could actually be nice or cool, e.g. when your One Ring-bearer is Alone and Unadvised.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”