The Fortress of Isen

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I propose the following erratum:

Unique. May not be a starting stage card. Playable if you are Alatar, Pallando, or Saruman. Playable on Isengard. Isengard is protected. Other Fallen-wizards may not use the Wizardhaven card for Isengard. Cards that give marshalling points cannot be played at any version of the site by your opponent in all cases. Discard this card when the site is discarded or returned to its location deck.

Original phrase "are not playable at the site" replaced by bold text has two problems:
- it introduces strange concept of "playability per player",
- it affects only the copy of the Isengard on which it is played, breaking a sense of restriction imposed on opponents.

EDIT:
Added "I propose the following erratum:" at top of the post.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I know it's tricky, but would it be worth it to consider a more general definition of what "at the site" means?
Yes some cards should only be played at/on a particular site card.
But for example, when it refers to characters or companies at the site, that should refer to the site as entity, not as site card, hence no "any version of" is needed. Or did I miss something?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 pm But for example, when it refers to characters or companies at the site, that should refer to the site as entity, not as site card, hence no "any version of" is needed. Or did I miss something?
CRF, Rulings by Term, Site wrote: A permanent-event played on a site affects only the copy of the site it is played on,
unless otherwise specified. A permanent-event not played on a site affects all versions
of affected sites.
Underline mine.
The phrase "Isengard is protected." is example of "unless otherwise specified". This is a reference to "the site as entity", to use your words.
By quoted above rule a references to "this site", "the site" made by permanent-event played on a site affect only the copy of the site it is played on.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Of course instead:
"cannot be played at any version of the site"
the text would be:
"cannot be played at Isengard".

Because The Fortress of Isen may not be played on site other than Isengard there is no special need of use variable (any version of the site) instead of proper name (Isengard).

There would not be practical difference, I think.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

What about Guarded Haven?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

seems I'm a bit overworked.

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”