[V suggestion] Bow of the Galadhrim

Jambo

2 MP [3 MP] Bow of the Galadhrim
Major Item
Unique. Weapon. Warrior only: +1 prowess (+2 if held by an Elf) to a maximum of 8 and bearer map tap Bow of the Galadhrim to assign the first strike of any attack to himself regardless of status (wounded or tapped). This card is worth 3 MPs if held by Legolas. 2CPs.
Leon

This sounds like quite an interesting card. I am not sure if Legolas should be the only one to get extra points for it, perhape make it usable by Elrohir etc as well, ie Elven warrior rangers. All elves would be too much and they would not all be able to handle a bow that well. I think it will still not surpass Glamdring or Torque of Hues as a choice for a mayor item, but it gets useful.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

MP: 2 item
Corruption: 1
Description: Unique. The following effect applies only if the bearer is an Elf Warrior. In company versus company combat, make a roll (draw a #) before strikes are assigned for each non-unique minion ally in the company the bearer is facing. If the result for an ally is greater than the ally's mind plus five, discard the ally.
This items easly breaks some of the best tourney decks around if people would just realize it.

Fallen-radi-- and Hog-wolf-squat

maybe I have to make Card of the Day entry
Leon

Indeed, the card as it is can be very useful if applied versus the right decks. Something for in the sideboard in case your opponent comes close. So it is not really necessary to virtualize this one.
Jambo

Vastor Peredhil wrote:This items easly breaks some of the best tourney decks around if people would just realize it.

Fallen-radi-- and Hog-wolf-squat

maybe I have to make Card of the Day entry
Hog/minion wolf squat, yes. Beware though, Hog/minion companies tend to be high on prowess and vanilla Bow of the Galadhrim doesn't do anything to bolster prowess...

Fallen-Rad, not even close to being likely. Firstly, all attacks against FW companies at their wizardhavens are automatically cancelled. Secondly, in the unlikely event that the Fallen-Rad company moves, how does a generic hero company initiate CvCC against a non-overt Fallen-Rad? Neither wolves, nor Blackbole, the two most common ally types, make his company overt. So, in all likelihood, for this to work at the very least you'd need to have an overt Fallen-wizard company with Bow of the Galadhrim or a moving overt Fallen-Rad company. hrmmm.

So, what it boils down to (IMHO) is a situational sideboard card at best, usable only against a certain type of minion deck. Hence why we never see it.
Leon

Would the Bow of the Galadhrim be interesting if it receives a +2 prowess for elven warriors in addition to its current text? I think it will and it is an easy way to change the card a bit.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In company versus company combat, make a roll (draw a #) before strikes are assigned for each non-unique minion ally in the company the bearer is facing. If the result for an ally is greater than the ally's mind plus five, discard the ally.
I'm not sure it matters if the attack's canceled. CvCC is still declared, and this effect occurs after CvCC is recognized to be occuring but before strikes are assigned. Since there has to be an attack for the Wizardhaven to cancel, I'd say the effect applies before the attack gets canceled.
Cast From the Order wrote:Playable on a Fallen-wizard. Make a roll and add the Fallen-wizard's stage points. If the result is less than 16, discard this card. Otherwise, place this card with the Fallen-wizard. The Fallen-wizard's player must use minion sites for Border-holds , Free-holds , and hero Havens . Also, the Fallen- wizard's company is overt.
Given that you get a free 10 card sideboard vs FW, I wouldn't find it too hard to make a FW's company overt.

And FWs themselves can make good use of it with an overt company to get rid of those pesky Noble Hounds and Steeds of an opponent.

I don't think there's a need to modify this one.
Jambo

Bandobras Took wrote:And FWs themselves can make good use of it with an overt company to get rid of those pesky Noble Hounds and Steeds of an opponent.
Bow of the Galadhrim can only target minion allies. But you raise an interesting point regarding whether it's still possible to use the Bow before the attack is cancelled. Maybe one to ask in the Rules Forum...

Still, if it were as good and useful as people are suggesting, it does the beg the question as to why I've never seen it used before...??

To me, sending at minimum an Elf with the Bow to visit an overt wizard at Rhosgobel with a company of allies and other characters strikes me as rather suicidal... You may claim an ally or two with the bow for 2 MP or so, but the repercussions of CvCC initiated by your opponent on the next turn might well mean your voyage to Rhosgobel was more beneficial to your opponent in the long-term.

As major items go, Glamdring, Durin's Axe and even Torque of Hues are far superior.
Leon

I think that if the item gives some prowess bonus as well it will be useful in a deck with lots of elven warriors, Gates of Morning, Star of High Hope etc to battle minions. As it is now I would prefer weapons that give a prowess bonus like Glamdring, the greater Swords or even some card like Great Shield of Rohan.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Jambo wrote:Bow of the Galadhrim can only target minion allies.
:oops:

I feel sheepish.

If we're considering virtualizing it, though, keep in mind that you're going to be seeing a lot of Wolf-based Dwar decks.
Still, if it were as good and useful as people are suggesting, it does the beg the question as to why I've never seen it used before...??
I don't like the argument of non-use in this case; you don't see me using it that often because I don't do hero CvCC decks. Getting rid of Wolves or a Regiment (which is at times a Minion's sole ally) is a nice effect.
To me, sending at minimum an Elf with the Bow to visit an overt wizard at Rhosgobel with a company of allies and other characters strikes me as rather suicidal... You may claim an ally or two with the bow for 2 MP or so, but the repercussions of CvCC initiated by your opponent on the next turn might well mean your voyage to Rhosgobel was more beneficial to your opponent in the long-term.
Great Road will whisk them back to safety at the end of the turn, ready to heal up -- a fascinating way to do hit and run, since said overt FW would have to move to retaliate.
Leon wrote:I think that if the item gives some prowess bonus as well it will be useful in a deck with lots of elven warriors, Gates of Morning, Star of High Hope etc to battle minions. As it is now I would prefer weapons that give a prowess bonus like Glamdring, the greater Swords or even some card like Great Shield of Rohan.
Ummm . . . given the plethora of prowess enhancers for elves, I don't think they need another one.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Remember that Legolas-decks will become more popular now. Thus, it would be really nice to see it do something unique on him.

Can anyone think of something more creative for the bow to do on Legolas than simple prowess-enhancing or strike assignment?

Frodo
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Tap Bow of the Galadhrim to cause all creature attacks for the rest of the turn to only be playable as written on their cards.
How about that? Cut through that Dragon's Desolation/Long Dark Reach nonsense. Not to mention Fell Beasts. :)
sly southerner

It would be interesting to see if the original card was more popular if CVCC was more popular. Given that some of the other virtual cards are designed to help CVCC is this possible? In any case I think it woudl still be pretty lame.

If it is virtualised then I like the prowess bonus and ability to direct a strike, but it should also allow the bearer to choose target when attacking in CVCC - at the moment it would only do this when defending I think. I also dont think it should have Legolas specific bonuses as this is too narrow and doesnt make much sense thematically.

Return to “Showcase”