Transferring of Data from Old to New webpage

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Hello All -

I am honored to be a part of such a fine group of gentlemen that have come together to form the new 2017 CoE! I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. =)

Anyhow, as I believe you are all aware, we are in the process of transferring to a new web page and forum. I am knee deep in the swamp currently working to get all of the data transferred over from the current CoE web page to the new and upcoming one.

As such, a bit of house cleaning is in order.... there are some very old links and information on the current website. Many items no longer apply or are out of date. Part of my mission is to clean things up a bit and make the webpage and forum a little more user friendly and intuitive.

That said, I want to be completely transparent and respectful to the current council as well as those who came before. I will not change or delete anything indiscriminately. I will be using this forum thread to make a post about each item which I plan to delete or change for the new webpage. My purpose in making these posts is so that all of you can speak up if you are opposed to the change or wish to make a suggestion.

Humbly Yours,

Gavin
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Ok, below is a list of the initial changes that I am planning to make to the new webpage which is under development. If anyone has objections or suggestions, please add them to this thread. I will continue to post more as I have time to work through everything. I am not posting most of the cosmetic or reorganization changes, but rather primarily content changes. Thank you.

#1) Home page content is being moved to Mission Statement link and deleting material below "May you find wisdom in these halls," (which is just the NEWS word and the blurb about World Championships in 2013).

#2) Charter - may need amending... TBD by CoE.

#3) Current Members link being updated with our current active council, and "old" current member info being added to the Past Council list.

#4) "Major Decisions" link being deleted.

#5) "National Councils" link being deleted. Looking for suggestions on this one. There are 35 national councils listed and only 3 of them lead to an actual webpage: Belgium, The Netherlands, and Japan. Of those 3, it doesn't appear that any of them have been updated in many years, so far as I can tell. Obviously it is important for new players to find people in their respective countries. So a contact list of some kind is in order. The question is whether to have that be a part of the forum or directly part of the main web page. Let me know what you guys think. As of now, I plan to delete all of this out-dated information.

#6) "International Tournaments" link - only half of the links lead to a webpage, the others are dead links. Also, the last tournament reported with info is 2007. Is this something you guys want to keep? If so, it seems appropriate to move it to an Archive of some sort.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

#1: ok
#2: ok
#3: ok
#4: I would like to see this archived somewhere, maybe it is even worth to keep up? Especially the "One of a kind" Proxy Rule could be of interest to new players.
#5: archive
#6: it shouldn't be much work to keep this and feed with new tournaments. the question is if this would be of any interest to players. we could also link to my webpage with tournament results instead and archive this.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Monday, March 27, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:#1: ok
#2: ok
#3: ok
#4: I would like to see this archived somewhere, maybe it is even worth to keep up? Especially the "One of a kind" Proxy Rule could be of interest to new players.
#5: archive
#6: it shouldn't be much work to keep this and feed with new tournaments. the question is if this would be of any interest to players. we could also link to my webpage with tournament results instead and archive this.
Thanks for your feedback!

One of my objectives with the new webpage is to make it as clean and easily view-able as possible. This is especially important for newer players who may be searching online for information about meccg and come across our webpage. It is very important that they find a modern webpage which is up to date and current with plenty of info and resources that are well organized. Hopefully this will encourage them to join the forums and take a deeper interest in meccg.

With that said, there is only room for so many menus on the main page before it becomes "cluttered." However, some menus will have sub-menus for organization and appearance. It is still a work in progress, but at this moment, the menus (and sub-menus) I have for the new web page are:

- ABOUT US (Mission Statement; Current Council Members; Past Councils; Charter)
- NEWS & EVENTS (Announcements; Upcoming Events)
- FORUM
- RESOURCES (Set Lists; Image Database; Card Errata; Spoiler Lists; Rules; Player's Guides)
- WEB LINKS (To Be Determined)
- GLOBAL PLAYERLIST (To Be Determined)
- THE ARCHIVES (To Be Determined)

So the big question is - what information from the current page needs to be kept, and where does it go?

Karsten, to address your specific feedback:

#4 - I do think that relevant news and announcements are important, and my thought is to put all such info in the "Announcements" sub-menu underneath the "News and Events" main menu. Since you feel the Proxy Rule announcement is important to keep, this item could be moved to the "Announcements" sub-menu.
Alternatively, the entire "Major Decisions" page could be moved to "The Archives" menu.

#5 - Archiving this page seems like a good idea. I would prefer, however, not to have any web links on our page that lead to a dead end with no content. This is useless clutter and may be frustrating for those browsing our page. So my thought would be to leave the council list with council names and a contact person (if said person can be verified to still be contactable), and additionally list the web links to pages which are still published with content on the web.

#6 - I plan to list all upcoming tournaments, events and gatherings on the new web page under the "Upcoming Events" sub-menu, under the "News & Events" main menu. I will take full responsibility to make sure all upcoming events are updated in a timely fashion to the web page. I will only require that the event organizer send me a PM with the pertinent dates, information and contact info.
I agree with your question about deciding if this info is of any use to players. My opinion is that once the word is spread to the community that the CoE webpage is up to date and useful, more players will use it. Once players see that there is a single, easy location to view all upcoming events for the next 6-12 months, I think it could be a useful resource.
As for the current tournaments listed from many years ago, I will need to know which of these are important to be archived.
Finally, as to your comment about linking your own web page, my thought is to keep a WEB LINKS menu on the main page and link all useful pages here (upon request from the owner.) This will be subject to verification that the page is still active and reputable. So we could link your page here.
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:I am currently working on the Global Playerlist on our main page.

Currently the list includes:

- Name
- City & Country
- Collector / Player status
- meccg nick
- gccg nick

Please let me know your opinions on which of these categories are important to keep. Obviously name and city/country will be kept, but this list can be customized however we prefer.

I think it would be nice to add an email address. That way you could look up your City/Country and email anyone you would like to contact.

Thoughts?
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:i think this list makes only sense if an email address is included. otherwise there is no way to get in contact with any player.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:
thorondor wrote:i think this list makes only sense if an email address is included. otherwise there is no way to get in contact with any player.
Agreed. The only other way would be to go to the forums and look up the MECCG nick, and then send that person a PM.
That might discourage some people.

My thought is to start this list from scratch so that it is current and includes an email address. That way people aren't trying to contact someone who has long quit the game and is no longer active.

Return to “Completed Agenda Items”