User banned

Announcements & discussion of CoE related issues.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

If all cases would be as "2+2=4" then the courts would not be needed.
Scheme "police report - eventual report of forensic laboratory - sentence" would be sufficient.

Moderators must me subjective or otherwise they will be paralyzed.
Like judges, they should work in some constrains and they work should be observed.
But if not their opinion about what belongs/does not belong to given thread/section, what is spam, what is offence, then there would be nothing instead.

I had and I have doubts about this particular case. First "first warning" for unclear reason, then ban after user expressed objection against publishing his real name (user who did not object against publishing his real name earlier).
This looks for me like urgent searching for opportunity to ban the user for his past behaviour.

EDIT: "thwn the courts" -> "then the courts"
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

So far as censorship is concerned, be it remembered that *what* somebody says is an entirely different issue from *how* they say it.

I voluntarily removed myself from forum activity for several years because of the behavior of the aforementioned person. There are any number of people with whom I have argued on this forum over the years (Konrad can attest to this :) ); there was only one whose behavior was so impolite as to cause me to leave.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Flyingpenut

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:06 pm So far as censorship is concerned, be it remembered that *what* somebody says is an entirely different issue from *how* they say it.

I voluntarily removed myself from forum activity for several years because of the behavior of the aforementioned person. There are any number of people with whom I have argued on this forum over the years (Konrad can attest to this :) ); there was only one whose behavior was so impolite as to cause me to leave.
I applaud your use of the freedoms you were born with. You were in a situation that you did not like so you just got away from the situation. While I lament the fact that you were in a situation you didn’t like and that you had to miss out on this community I am proud that we live in a system where you had that freedom to choose. You were not “forced out” or banned. Similarly you were not forced to stay in and be exposed to something you did not like. There will always be situation we do not agree with or that we do not like and as long as we have the freedom to choose to be a part or choose to leave we will truly be free. If we start to become forced to do things we will lose our true free will. Banning is just the start. Once that becomes common place forced participation will be next. You will be forced to participate in situations you do not like because others will deem it “wrong” that you are not participating. They will say the opposite of what people are saying here. Because most people deem someone to be “offensive” that is must be the “right” way of thinking. At some point you will be on the other side of what most people think is “right” and you will be forced to participate in something you don’t like because the majority of people think that your lack of participation is “offensive” and therefor “wrong.” The removal of freedom for all but the most serious situations is extremely dangerous and will lead us to eventual slavery. Change always happens slow but with each gradual change the momentum picks up and at some point it becomes impossible to change. We must all picture a world without freedom where we are completely controlled and ask ourselves is the risk of that worse or is being exposed to situations we don’t like or agree with for a short period of time until we remove ourselves from them worse?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

A sense of established law is that there are prohibitions and warrants.
If I signed a contract with ISP, both my freedom and freedom of the ISP is reduced. I must pay for the service by time of the contract and the ISP must provide the service by the same time.
No one is forced to be member of the forum. The forum is not state property. Even on public street that is state property a freedom is not unlimited.
If my guest has unlimited freedom in my home and I have unlimited freedom in my home then there is a space for conflicts.
Lack of acceptance for limiting of a freedom is a lack of acceptance for borders. Both I and my guest are borderless.
At least until I or my guest will us his freedom to establish borders and rules.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Flyingpenut wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:26 pm
(snip)
This is wandering off topic as it's now gone from the concrete issue to an abstract one. I feel no need to continue dragging out such a conversation in this particular thread.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Council Business”